Feb 16, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 59- Smith 79
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-16, 4-12 NEWMAC) - Smith (20-5, 13-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass.
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to the court on Saturday afternoon where they fell to the Pioneers of Smith College, 79-59.
- Wheaton was led by forwards Mikayla Pucci and Sara McLeman. Pucci earned her third double-double of the season, scoring 19 points and shooting 9-for-12 from the line while picking up 11 rebounds. McLeman picked up one board and shot 3-for-6 contributing eight points. Senior Abby Hamilton also followed up with a seven-point performance in the loss.
- Smith was led by Lauren Bondi and Kennedy Guest-Pritch. Guest-Pritch became Smith's all-time leading scorer with her 21 points and a game-high 19 boards while Bondie led all players with a 26 point performance.
- Smith opened up the game with a 6-0 run before Pucci was able to get the Lyons on the board with a layup at 8:25. The Pioneers used their continued success in the paint to help take the quarter 24-15.
- Wheaton found their rhythm in the second frame, outscoring Smith 19-11. Hamilton was able to convert a pair of free throws at 1:47 to help push the Lyons ahead 34-31, but the Pioneers managed to make a layup and convert two at the line to regain the lead at the end of the half (35-34).
- Smith used the momentum they gained before intermission to help win out the two remaining frames and set a final scoreline of 79-59 over the Lyons.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 19-52 / Smith 26-69
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 5-16 / Smith 9-24
- Free Throw: Wheaton 16-24 / Smith 18-25
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 17 / Smith 17
- Rebounds: Wheaton 26 / Smith 48
- Assists: Wheaton 3 / Smith 16