SCORE: Wheaton 79 - Maine Maritime 73
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0) - MMA (0-1)
LOCATION: Orono, Maine
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team opened the season with a 79-73 win over Maine Maritime Academy Saturday afternoon in their season opener at Memorial Gymnasium on the campus of the University of Maine at Orono. The win is also the first for new head coach Sara Binkhorst.
- Wheaton fell behind early but quickly countered holding the lead for most of the first quarter. The Mariners were able to take the lead back with under a minute left in the quarter. Wheaton's Natalie Wind hit a three late in the quarter to send the Lyons into the second quarter with a narrow 21-19 edge.
- The two teams battled closely in the second quarter, but Wheaton made a pair of buckets late to enter halftime with a 38-37 edge.
- Maine Maritime and Wheaton exchanged the lead numerous times to start the third, but the Lyons went on an eight-point run to open up a 58-47 lead with 2:22 to go and held the Mariners in the fourth to take the victory.
- Wind tallied a game-high 20 points to lead the Lyons and also added two rebounds, an assist, and a steal. Bri Forbes added 17 points, three rebounds, and three steals, while Mikayla Pucci and Arianna Fabiani scored 10 points each.
- "I could not be more proud of this group and the competitive spirit and grit they showed today. We had contributions from many different players and our selflessness helped us defeat a very talented MMA team on the road."
- Field Goals: Wheaton 26-59 / MMA 25-51
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 11-28 / MMA 6-20
- Free Throw: Wheaton 16-22 / MMA 17-21
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 27 / MMA 18
- Rebounds: Wheaton 27 / MMA 34
- Assists: Wheaton 11 / MMA 5
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 12 p.m. against Thomas (ME) at the Pit in Orono, Maine. VIDEO / LIVE STATS