SCORE: Wheaton 64 - Thomas (ME) 48
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-0) - Thomas (0-2)
LOCATION: Orono, Maine
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team defeated Thomas College 64-48 in the second day of the Maine Maritime Academy Tournament on Sunday afternoon. For their work throughout the tournament, senior Natalie Wind and first-year Bri Forbes were named to the All-Tournament team.
- The Lyons came out strong defensively in the first quarter, holding the Terriers to two points as they held a 14-2 advantage going into the second.
- Wheaton continued to push the pace and play stellar defense, taking a commanding 31-11 lead into halftime.
- Thomas put together a string of points in the third quarter, but the Lyons held a 48-26 lead going into the fourth.
- The Lyons found themselves outscored in the fourth quarter, but Thomas was not able to score enough, handing Wheaton a 64-48 win.
- Wheaton picked up an 11 point, eight-rebound performance from junior Mikayla Pucci. Pucci also ended the contest with a steal and a block. Forbes ended the game with 10 points, while Alexis Romer, Sadie Shore, and Wind all finished with nine points.
- "I'm proud of our women for their effort and intensity on the defensive end. Our pace and a balanced attack led us to be successful."
- Field Goals: Wheaton 24-63 / Thomas 16-60
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 9-33 / Thomas 4-21
- Free Throw: Wheaton 7-10 / Thomas 12-19
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 17 / Thomas 11
- Rebounds: Wheaton 37 / Thomas 48
- Assists: Wheaton 10 / Thomas 8
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to Emerson Gymnasium for the first time this season, hosting Roger Williams at 7 p.m. in their home opener. Fans re encouraged to wear white. VIDEO / LIVE STATS