Posted: Jan 04, 2020
SCORE: Wheaton 58 - Fisher 61
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-7) - Fisher (8-7)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass.
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to the court for the first game of 2020, hosting Fisher College in a non-conference contest on the recently renovated court in Emerson Gymnasiums on Saturday. The Falcons walked away with the new year victory, defeating the Lyons 61-58 in a tightly contested back and forth battle.
- Both teams shot just over 40% from the floor, while the Lyons held a slight advantage in three-point percentage. Points off turnovers proved to be the difference in the game with Fisher netting 25 put-back points, compared to Wheaton's 14.
- First-year Bri Forbes paced Wheaton with a team-high 14 points on a 6-for-10 performance from the floor, while also pulling down a team-high five rebounds. Natalie Wind chipped in 10 points, while Ashley Hill and Mikayla Pucci each finished with nine points.
- Jenny-Lynn Eggers led all players with 19 points for the Falcons, while Vivian Lara contributed 15 points and Lauren Allen finished with 11. Lara also led all players in rebounds, pulling down nine boards, eight of which came on the defensive end.
- The game featured five lead changes and saw the game knotted up on three occasions. Wheaton opened the game on a strong 10-2 run, which was capped off by a Forbes jumper at the 6:47 mark. The Lyons maintained control of the lead through the first quarter, taking a 23-15 advantage into the second frame.
- Wheaton continued to hold possession of the lead for the entire second period, capturing its largest lead of the contest on a Wind three-pointer (30-19) with 6:44 remaining until intermission.
- Trailing 38-36 at the start of the third quarter, the Falcons tied the game on an Allen jumper just seconds into the new half. The lead was shortlived with Hill handing Wheaton the lead back moments later with a quick layup. The Lyons continued to hold the lead until an Eggers layup with 2:50 on the clock handed Fisher a 47-46 lead. Wheaton recaptured the lead with seconds remaining in the third period on a jumper from Alexis Romer.
- Both teams hit a dry spell to start the fourth quarter with neither side draining a basket until a Shaniah Hazard layup with 7:48 left in the game. Pucci handed Wheaton a 55-54 lead with 2:34 to play after hitting one of two free-throw attempts. The lead didn't last long with Eggers handing the lead back to Fisher, this time for good, with a three-pointer assisted by Allen with a little over a minute remaining in the game.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 21-52 / Fisher 22-51
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 7-23 / Fisher 3-13
- Free Throw: Wheaton 9-15 / Fisher 14-20
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 14 / Fisher 25
- Rebounds: Wheaton 35 / Fisher 31
- Assists: Wheaton 7 / Fisher 11
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Monday, Jan. 6 at 5 p.m. in Emerson Gym against Maine-Farmington. VIDEO / LIVE STATS