SCORE: Wheaton 73 - Me.-Farmington 55
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-7) - Me.-Farmington (5-5)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to action on Monday for a non-conference contest against Me.-Farmington, which saw the Lyons earn a 73-55 victory in Emerson Gymnasium. The win is the first of the new year for the Lyons and the first home game win for new head coach Sara Binkhorst.
- The Lyons were paced by 18 points from Mikayla Pucci and 17 points from Natalie Wind. Sadie Shore also ended the game in double-figures, netting 12 points in the victory, while both Ashley Hill and Alexis Romer both contributed six points.
- The Beavers were led by a game-high 25 points and eight rebounds from McKenna Brodeur. Cassidy Delano chipped in nine points from the bench.
- The opening quarter saw the two teams pass the lead back and forth with Me.-Farmington taking a slim 16-15 lead into the second quarter.
- The Beavers took their largest lead of the game with 8:55 on the clock in the second quarter, with Brodeur hitting two free-throws that made it an 18-15 advantage. Wind knotted the game at 18-18 moments later with a three-pointer, which was followed by a Sara McLeman layup to give Wheaton the lead. The Lyons took the lead for good with 7:09 to go in the first half on a Pucci layup that made it 22-20.
- After taking a 40-30 lead into the half, Wheaton came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Wheaton took its largest lead of the contest, 73-55, with 2:11 to go in the game on a three-pointer from Wind, assisted by Karli Retzel. The score would hold with neither side finding net the rest of the way.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 32-66 / UMF 19-47
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 9-23 / UMF 0-8
- Free Throw: Wheaton 0-2 / UMF 17-23
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 17 / UMF 13
- Rebounds: Wheaton 35 / UMF 31
- Assists: Wheaton 20 / UMF 8
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to the court on Wednesday, Jan. 8 at Tufts for a 7 p.m. contest. VIDEO / LIVE STATS