SCORE: Wheaton 81 - Mount Holyoke 21
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-8, 1-0 NEWMAC) - Mount Holyoke (1-15, 0-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, MA (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Wheaton defeated Mount Holyoke 81-21 to open up NEWMAC play behind a team effort.
- Brooke Harvey opened up the scoring for the Lyons with a made lay-up thirty seconds into the game.
- Wheaton regained the lead after Mikayla Pucci made a lay-up with 5:43 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Lyons took an 8-5 lead with 5:05 remaining in the first quarter after Sadie Shore finished off a three-point play by getting to the line and never looked back.
- Wheaton went on a 15-0 run to close the first quarter giving them a 20-5 lead going into the second quarter.
- First-year Arianna Fabiani scored the Lyon's first 5 points of the second quarter extending their lead to twenty.
- Strong defense helped the Lyons give up only three points in the quarter giving them a 41-8 lead going into halftime.
- Back to back threes from Harvey early in the third quarter extending their lead to 39 with 8:00 remaining in the third quarter.
- Wheaton's bench finished the game strong as they cruised to victory 81-21 and opened up NEWMAC play with a win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Pucci finished with a game-high 13 points.
- Harvey helped out by adding 12 points and 6 rebounds.
- Annika Brooks led Mount Holyoke with 12 points.
- Wheaton shot 53.4% from the floor going 31-of-58.
- Karli Retzel led the Lyons off the bench with 11 points and 6 rebounds.
- Wheaton finished the game with 45 bench points.
- Wheaton out rebounded Mount Holyoke 45 to 27
UP NEXT: The Lyons stay at home to face New Jersey City in Emerson Gymnasium on Monday, Jan. 20 at 2:00 p.m.