SCORE: Wheaton 56 - New Jersey City 48
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-8, 1-0 NEWMAC) - New Jersey City (6-9, 4-5 NJAC)
LOCATION: Norton, MA (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Wheaton took down New Jersey City 56-48 behind a strong defensive effort, while Sadie Shore led the Lyons with 15 points.
- After a made three-pointer by New Jersey City, Shore hit back to back three-pointers giving the Lyons a 6-3 lead with 8:32 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Lyons carried this momentum finishing off an 11-0 run after an Ashley Hill made free-throw to make it 11-3 with 6:15 remaining in the quarter.
- The Gothic Knights then went on a 7-0 run capped off by a Dayjah Anderson made lay up to make it 11-10 in favor of the Lyons.
- Mikayla Pucci scored four straight points to help the Lyons take a 15-11 lead going into the second quarter.
- Five straight points from Carli Koffinke helped extend the Lyons lead making it 22-13 with six minutes left in the half.
- A strong defensive effort from the Lyons helped them take a 26-17 lead going into halftime as New Jersey City only scored six second quarter points.
- A 7-0 run from the Lyons that included five points from Shore gave the Lyons a 34-20 with 5:42 remaining in the third quarter.
- An Alexis Romer made three-pointer with under a minute left in the third quarter gave the Lyons a 42-25 lead going into the final quarter.
- The Gothic Knight's Anderson finished off a three-point play from the free-throw line to cut the Lyons lead to 12 with five minutes remaining.
- New Jersey City battled back as Hannah Johnson hit back to back threes, followed by two succesful foul shots to make it 50-45 in favor of the Lyons with 00:48 remaining.
- Clutch free-throw shooting from Natalie Wind down the stretch helped the Lyons hold off the Gothic Knights and claim a 56-48 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Shore finished with 15 points while adding 5 rebounds.
- Wheaton held New Jersey City to a 20% field goal percentage.
- Pucci finished with a double-double that included 14 points and 10 rebounds
- The Gothic Knight's Johnson had a game high 25 points going 8-of-24 from the floor.
- Wheaton's largest lead was 18 while there was only one lead change in the entire game.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to conference play as they head to Springfield on Wednesday, Jan. 22 for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.