SCORE: Wheaton 63 - Springfield 40
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-9, 1-1 NEWMAC) - Springfield (11-6, 2-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, MA (Blake Arena)
- Wheaton fell to 1-1 in NEWMAC play as they traveled to Springfield, 63-40
- Springfield jumped out to an 8-0 lead behind four points from the Pride's Stephanie Lyons.
- The Lyons got on the board when Sadie Shore made a jump shot three minutes into the game making the score 8-2 in favor of the Pride.
- After another made bucket from Shore, the Lyons trailed 8-7 with 2:57 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Pride took a 16-11 lead going into the second quarter after a made shot at the buzzer by Grace Dzindolet.
- Wheaton went on a 6-2 run to start the second quarter capped off by a Bri Forbes lay-up, as the Lyons trailed 18-17 with 7:27 remaining in the second quarter.
- Two buckets from Forbes helped the Lyons stay in the game as Wheaton trailed 30-21 with 2:32 remaining in the half.
- Springfield took a 34-21 lead going into halftime.
- The Pride went on a 14-0 run to start the third quarter that was ended by an Alexis Romer made three-pointer.
- Wheaton outscored the Pride 16-12 in the fourth quarter led by 6 points from Karli Retzel.
- The Lyons effort was not enough as they fell to the Pride 63-40.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Forbes in her first NEWMAC contest finished with 10 points and 3 rebounds.
- The Pride's Lyons finished with a game-high 14 points while adding 5 rebounds and 3 assists.
- Shore continued her solid play scoring in double figures for the third time in four games.
- Wheaton outscored Springfield 22 to 17 in bench points.
- Springfield shot a staggering 50% from behind the arc.
- Mikayla Pucci was a big help on the glass as she grabbed 9 rebounds and added 6 points.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action for a home NEWMAC contest against Smith on Wednesday, Jan. 29th for a 6:00 p.m. tip-off.