SCORE: Wheaton 76 - Coast Guard 82
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-12, 1-4 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (14-7, 3-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: New London, CT (Roland Hall)
- Wheaton took Coast Guard down to the wire led by senior Natalie Wind who finished with 18 points.
- Coast Guard jumped out to a 6-0 lead to start the game.
- Wheaton had back to back buckets from seniors Mikayla Pucci and Wind to make it 6-4 with7:02 remaining in the first quarter.
- Brooke Harvey scored back to back buckets bringing the Lyons back to within two with 5:10 remaining.
- The Bears had a 6-0 run late in the first quarter to give them a 22-15 lead going into the second quarter.
- The Lyons took the lead, 28-25 after Wind finished off a three point play by sinking the free throw with 4:29 remaining in the second quarter.
- Coast Guard then went on a 10-2 run to take back the lead 35-33 with 00:39 remaining before halftime.
- First-year Bri Forbes made two free throws right before the half as it was 37-35 in favor of the Bears at the half.
- Sadie Shore started the third quarter with a made three-point jumper to give the Lyons the lead back 38-37.
- After some back and forth action Wheaton regained the lead 52-50 after Alexis Romer hit a three with 2:28 remaining in the third quarter.
- Coast Guard's Branyelle Carillo hit a bucket late in the third quarter to tie the game up 57-57 going into the fourth quarter.
- Wheaton took the lead 61-59 after a made layup by Shore with 8:24 remaining.
- After falling behind the Lyons took back the lead 68-67 after a Shore made three with 3:58 remaining.
- Emma Puddington finished off a three point play giving the bears a 78-73 lead with 00:30 remaining in the game.
- Wheaton ultimately fell to Coast Guard 82-76.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wind finished with a game-high 18 points on 6-of-10 shooting.
- Pucci added 10 points and 7 rebounds to help the Lyons.
- Coast Guard had four players in double figures.
- Forbes and Shore both finished with 13 points.
- Wheaton shot 45% from behind the arc.
- Harvey led the Lyons off the bench with 19 points.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return home for a NEWMAC contest as they host Emerson on Saturday, Feb. 8th for a 1:00 p.m. tip-off.