SCORE: Wheaton 10 - Keene St. 7
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Keene St. (0-4)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin Field)
- Lilly Callahan and Katie Peters used the opening 7:28 minutes of the contest to combine for a 2-0, Wheaton lead.
- Keene State rallied back for their first and only lead of the contest three minutes later with a three-goal run sparked by Chelsea Lewis.
- A patient Wheaton offense produced three free position goals and a Callahan marker over the next ten minutes to go up 6-3. Keene's Lewis halted the momentum of the Lyons with an unassisted goal before Danielle Trudeau and Peters netted a goal apiece to end the half with an 8-4 advantage.
- Sarah Melvin found an open Taylor Farland to put the Owls on the board first, just 38 seconds before Tess Masci would strike again for Keene. The following 17 minutes would be a scoreless game of changed possessions until Lewis drove and found the back of the net with less than 7 minutes to go, putting the Owls within a goal again.
- Kyra Schwartzman deposited Wheaton's ninth tally, and from there, Wheaton enjoyed the majority of posession and a Peters goal to end the game, 10-7.
- Katie Peters led all players on the field with 4 goals to go along with 4 ground balls, 5 draw controls and 3 caused turnovers.
- Schwartzman picked up a pair of goals and an assist for three points. Trudeau and Maddy Lahm each finished the day with 4 draw controls and a goal, while Nina Sanfilippo and Blake Ferretti led defensively with three caused turnovers each.
- Jena Casman picked up her first collegiate win in net, as she stopped 5 of the Owls attempts on goal.
- Lewis led the Owls with a hat trick and Farland chipped in with a pair of goals herself.
- Keene State goalkeeper Anna O'Brien made 6 saves in the loss.
- Shots: Wheaton 27/ Keene St. 18
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 25/ Keene St. 13
- Clears: Wheaton 9-10/ Keene St. 11-16
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 14/ Keene St. 4
- Free Position Shots: 6-13/ Keene St. 0-0
- Saves: Wheaton 5/ Keene St. 6
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Tuesday, March 13 at 10 a.m. against Westfield St. in Bradenton, Florida.