Posted: Mar 24, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 18 - Mount Holyoke 9
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-4, 1-0 NEWMAC) - Mount Holyoke (1-6, 0-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: South Hadley, Mass. (MHC Turf Field)
- Wheaton was led by five goals from senior Katie Peters and sophomore Kyra Schwartzman, with Peters also dishing out two assists, while Schwartzman ended the game with one. Maddy Lahm scored four times in the win, while Maggie Dymes (2), Lilly Callahan (1), and Casey Kaplan (1) also got in on the action.
- Like Peters, Kaplan also ended the game with a game-high two assists, while Lahm, Kennelly Allerton, Schwartzman, and Callahan all finished with one.
- Lahm, Allerton, and Peters led the team with four groundballs each, while Kaplan and Nina Sanfilippo each collected three.
- Molly Witten picked up her second win of the season after playing 39:27 in goal, coming up with three saves. Jena Casman split time with Witten, making just one save in 20:33 of work.
- Wheaton got to work early, netting two goals in the opening eight minutes, but Mount Holyoke responded with back-to-back goals 20 seconds apart to make it a 2-2 contest with 20 minutes remaining in the half.
- Wheaton countered with two more goals, starting with Callahan's lone goal of the game, assisted by Schwartzman. Peters found Schwartzman a minute later, making it a 4-2 game. The visiting Lyons continued to push the pace, netting five more goals, while limiting the host Lyons to two additional goals, before the intermission.
- It took Wheaton just 40 seconds to score in the second half with Kaplan finding Schwartzman for her second goal of the day. Mount Holyoke put one away a few moments later, but Wheaton hit the gas, scoring five unanswered goals over a five-minute span, making it a 15-5 contest.
- Mount Holyoke found a way to find the back of the next four more times, but would not be able to keep Wheaton from doing the same with Lahm ending the scoring with a successful free position shot with less than a minute remaining, earning Wheaton an 18-9 New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) victory.
- Saves: Wheaton 4 - Mount Holyoke 5
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 24 - Mount Holyoke 21
- Clears: Wheaton 14-17 - Mount Holyoke 11-16
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 17 - Mount Holyoke 11
- Free Position Shots: Wheaton 5-6 - Mount Holyoke 0-2
- Shots: Wheaton 28 - Mount Holyoke 22