SCORE: Wheaton 8 - Smith 7
RECORDS: Wheaton 7-7 (4-1 NEWMAC) - Smith (7-5, 2-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Turf Field)
- Wheaton was led by a four goal performance from Katie Peters, which now pushes the senior midfielders career goals to 107. Peters also finished with one groundball, two draw controls and a caused turnover.
- The Lyons also earned goals from Maggie Dymes, Lilly Callahan, Molly Covarrubias, and Kyra Schwartzman.
- The Pioneers were led by two goal performances from Emily Biggs, Caroline Myran, and Julia Hamilton.
- Smith took an early 1-0 lead on Myran's first goal of the game with an assist from Hamilton.
- Wheaton responded with back-to-back goals a minute a part, staring with a put away by Dymes, which was followed by Schwartzman's 23rd goal of the season.
- The Pioneers pulled within a goal a few minutes later, just to have it erased by Peters first goal of the game.
- Myran netted Smith's final goal of the half, which was countered by two more Peters' goals, closing out the first period with a 5-3 Lyon advantage.
- Callahan and Covarrubias pushed the Lyon lead to 7-3 to start the second half. Smith pulled within two goals over the next nine minutes with goals from Chloe Harris and Biggs.
- Peters added her final goal of the game with 8:53 left in the contest with an assist from Kennelly Allerton.
- The Pioneers tried to find a way to come from behind for the victory, netting two more goals in the final four minutes, but would not be able to come up with the equalizer or game-winner.
- Saves: Wheaton 20 / Smith 9
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 10 / Smith 22
- Clears: Wheaton 14-18 / Smith 13-14
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 7 / Smith 10
- Free Position Shots: 0-0 / Smith 0-0
- Shots: Wheaton 18 / Smith 36
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the road on Saturday, April 21 at 11:00 a.m. where they will face off against the Engineers of MIT.