Posted: Apr 25, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Babson 16
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-9, 4-3 NEWMAC) - Babson (9-7, 6-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton got three of its goals from sophomore Kyra Schwartzman, while sophomore Molly Covarrubias chipped in the other two.
- Megan Hemmerlein won a game-high six draw controls, while Nina Sanfilippo ended with a game-high three caused turnovers.
- Senior Molly Witten and first-year Jena Casman combined for nine saves.
- Lexi Lenaghan led all players with five goals in the Beavers win, while Maria Bravo came up with a team-high four groundballs. Cricket Fligor earned her fifth win of the season for Babson after making five saves on the night.
- Schwartzman put the Lyons on top a little over a minute into the contest, but the Beavers followed with back-to-back goals from Julia Harrigan and Lenaghan. Kennelly Allerton found a crashing Covarrubias with 24:27 to play in the half to knot the game at 2-2. It took nearly six minutes for either side to find the back of the net again. Harrigan ended the scoreless drought, which sparked a five goal rally by the Beavers, who ended the first half with a 7-2 advantage.
- Babson opened the second half with five straight goals, pushing its lead to 12-2. Covarrubias finally put Wheaton on the board with a successful free position shot with 18:58 left in the contest. Schwartzman followed with her second goal of the day with an assist from senior Katie Peters. Schwartzman also scored the Lyons final goal of the game with a good free position shot of her own with a little over eight minutes left in the contest.
- Saves: Wheaton 9 / Babson 5
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 11 / Babson 21
- Clears: Wheaton 12-15 / Babson 16-18
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 10 / Babson 11
- Free Position Shots: 2-4 / Babson 2-3
- Shots: Wheaton 17 / Babson 35