Posted: Apr 28, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 12 - Coast Guard 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-9, 5-3 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (11-6, 4-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- With the win, the Lyons earn the No. 4 seed in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament, while the Bears earn the No. 5 seed.
- The Lyons were led by a four-goal performance from senior Katie Peters, who also led the team with a game-high nine draw controls while chipping in two caused turnovers and collecting two groundballs.
- Kyra Schwartzman finished the game with a hat-trick for Wheaton, while Maddy Lahm, Kennelly Allerton, Emma Ford, Lilly Callahan, and Molly Covarrubias also found the back of the net.
- Marietta Davis led the Coast Guard with three goals, while Haley Howard put two away.
- All three of Wheaton's goalkeepers saw time in net with senior Molly Witten getting credit for the win after making eight saves in 35:57. Galicia Rothe, who got the start, made five saves, while first-year Jena Casman made one.
- The Coast Gaurd took an early 2-0 lead with an unassisted goal from Marietta Davis, which was followed by a Haley McCue goal assisted by Daria McKenna. Peters put the Lyons on the board with 22:14 left in the half after collecting a feed from Cobarrubias. McKenna helped the Bears find the back of the net again, this time finding Davis, putting the Coast Guard ahead 3-1. Ford and Schwartzman teamed up to once again pull the Lyons within a goal of the Bears with 16:38 remaining. The Coast Guard found its rhythm in the final 12 minutes of the half, scoring five unanswered goals to take a commanding 8-2 lead into halftime.
- Allerton opened the second half with her lone goal of the game but had it matched three minutes later by McCue's third goal of the day. Trailing 9-3, Wheaton buckled down and went on an offensive charge with back-to-back Schwartzman goals, which was followed by a good free position shot from Peters to pull the Lyons within three. Wheaton and the Coast Guard traded goals over the next 10 minutes with the Bears holding on to an 11-7 advantage. With just under 10 minutes remaining in the game, the Lyons caught fire starting with a man-up goal from Peters that sparked a five-goal run from Wheaton. Covarrubias followed the Peters goal, before assisting Ford on her first goal of the game. Peters found the back of the net for her fourth goal of the game on another free position shot that knotted the game at 11-11. Callahan netted the game-winner with 2:53 remaining in the game with a quick dish from Covarrubias.
- Saves: Wheaton 14 / CGA 13
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 13 / CGA 17
- Clears: Wheaton 7-13 / CGA 13-19
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 18 / CGA 7
- Free Position Shots: 2-8 / CGA 1-3
- Shots: Wheaton 34 / CGA 30