SCORE: Wheaton 17 - Johnson & Wales 18
RECORDS: Wheaton (0-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Johnson & Wales (1-0)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- The Wheaton women's lacrosse team opened the 2019 campaign with an 18-17 overtime loss to Johnson & Wales University Saturday afternoon on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.
- Wheaton was led by junior Kyra Schwartzman who scored five goals and had three ground balls while Molly Covarrubias and Danielle Trudeau each followed up with four goals apiece. Covarrubias picked up three assists while Trudeau dished out one. Lilly Callahan contributed two goals in the loss.
- Allison Pazienski led all players with a double-hattrick and three assists while Juliana Giello, Dani Lydecker, Maria Patane, and Madeline Bishara each provided three goals in the Wildcats win.
- The Lyons got on the board first with Schwartzman scoring just 18 seconds into the game. Covarrubias immediately followed up with another goal 12 seconds after the draw to increase the Lyons lead by two. JWU found momentum after scoring their first goal at 28:12 and commanded the rest of the half, outscoring the Lyons 11-6 as the two sides headed into intermission.
- Wheaton opened the second half strong, scoring four goals before the Wildcats were able to find the back of the net at 17:11 (14-10). The Lyons continued to pressure the Wildcats throughout the remainder of the half, going on a 7-1 run to regain the lead with just 2:15 left in the game. With under a minute left to play, JWU was able to score two goals to tie the game and force overtime.
- With 13 seconds left in the first period of OT, Giello found herself open enough to squeeze a shot past Casman to win the game 18-17.
- Sophomore Jena Casman recorded 12 saves in 64 minutes of play.
- Shots: Wheaton 34 / Johnson & Wales 42
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 27 / Johnson & Wales 36
- Clears: Wheaton 15-20 / Johnson & Wales 10-12
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 19 / Johnson & Wales 18
- Free Position Shots: Wheaton / Johnson & Wales
- Saves: Wheaton 12 / Johnson & Wales 5
UP NEXT: Wheaton will take to the road on Tuesday, Feb. 26, where they will face off against Bates at 4:30 p.m.