SCORE: Wheaton 14 - Mount Holyoke 8
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-4, 1-0 NEWMAC) - Mount Holyoke (4-3, 0-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- In the Battle of the Lyons, the Wheaton women's lacrosse team defeated Mount Holyoke in their first New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest to a scoreline of 14-8.
- Wheaton was led by Molly Covarrubias who scored a team-high five goals while battling for one caused turnover. Kyra Schwartzman followed up with three goals and one assist while Danielle Trudeau notched two goals an assist.
- Maggie Dymes, Addy Paradis, Lilly Callahan, and Casey Kaplan each contributed one goal in the Lyons win with Callahan leading Wheaton with three caused turnovers and a tied game-high five ground balls.
- Mount Holyoke's Abby Baldwin led all players with six goals and seven draw controls while Caroline Flynn contributed two goals and one assist in the loss.
- Wheaton got on the board first with Callahan finding the back of the net with a free position shot at 27:38. From there, Wheaton would go on a 6-1 run to help finish off the half 7-3.
- After a strong first-half performance, Wheaton's defense continued to hold Mount Holyoke scoreless for 22 minutes while also notching seven goals in the process.
- Baldwin was able to produce three goals in the remaining two minutes of the game for Mount Holyoke, but it wouldn't be enough to catch Wheaton's early lead.
- Jena Casman recorded six saves in the win.
- Saves: Wheaton 6 / Mount Holyoke 6
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 26 / Mount Holyoke 16
- Clears: Wheaton 18-23 / Mount Holyoke 15-17
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 8 / Mount Holyoke 16
- Free Position Shots: Wheaton 5-7 / Mount Holyoke 2-4
- Shots: Wheaton 24 / Mount Holyoke 22
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the field on Sunday, March 24 for a 2 p.m. contest against Bowdoin College on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.