SCORE: Wheaton 11 - MIT 14
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-8, 4-2 NEWMAC) - MIT (8-7, 5-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- The women's lacrosse team took to Diane C. Nordin '80 Field on Saturday, April 20, where they fell short against New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) opponent MIT to a scoreline of 14-11.
- Wheaton was led Kyra Schwartzman, Casey Kaplan, and Lilly Callahan who each scored three goals apiece on the day. Schwartzman fought for four ground balls while Callahan picked up two.
- Molly Covarrubias contributed two goals for the white and blue while also dishing out a career-high and game-high six assists.
- MIT was led by Rayna Higuchi who scored a game-high five goals and one assist while Eva Then followed up with a hattrick and one assist, picking up three total ground balls for the Engineers.
- The game started off a battle with both teams trading the lead four times over the course of the first 30 minutes. Wheaton opened the game up with Callahan finding the back of the net at 26:02 before MIT's Then was able to convert a free position shot at 22:40 to tie things up. After her initial goal, Then tallied for another goal just a minute later to put the Engineers up by one (2-1). The Lyons answered with a 3-0 run with goals coming from the junior duo of Schwartzman and Covarrubias (4-2), but the Engineers were able to respond with four unanswered goals to regain the lead at 6-4. Kaplan netted her lone goal of the half at 1:26 but MIT slipped one past the keeper in the remaining seconds to increase their lead by two (7-5).
- MIT carried their momentum into the second half, putting the Lyons under pressure with a 5-1 run in the first 15 minutes of play. Wheaton managed to score three goals in the middle of the frame and two more in the remaining minutes of the game, but despite their efforts, it wouldn't be enough to catch the Engineers early lead.
- Jena Casman recorded 13 saves in the Lyons loss.
- Saves: Wheaton 13 / MIT 6
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 25 / MIT 18
- Clears: Wheaton 17-21 / MIT 15-15
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 7 / MIT 19
- Free Position Shots: 0-4 / MIT 5-7
- Shots: Wheaton 22 / MIT 36
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the road on Wednesday, April 24, where they will battle against the Beavers of Babson College at 7:00 PM.