SCORE: Wheaton 8 - Coast Guard 10
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-10, 4-4 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (7-10, 4-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton was led by Lilly Callahan who scored three goals while Molly Covarrubias and Casey Kaplan tallied two goals apiece in the Lyons loss.
- Blake Ferretti and Kaplan led the Lyons in defense with a team-high two caused turnovers while Covarrubias led with a three draw controls.
- Coast Guard was led by Haley Howard who notched a game-high four goals while Etta Davis and Mel Goins contributed two in the Bears win.
- The first half was a battle with both sides fighting for the lead. Coast Guard was able to spark a 3-0 run in the first five minutes before Wheaton responded with three straight of their own. The Bears would answer again with two more goals with 8:41 left in the half, but the Lyons were able to slip two past the keeper at 5:21 and 1:09 to tie the game at 5-5 as both sides headed into intermission.
- Wheaton opened the second half with three early goals to take an 8-5 advantage with 19:26 left in regulation but the Bears battled for two more goals to cut their deficit down by one (8-7). Howard was able to tie the game up at 7:32 and then later helped take lead back with a goal at 5:01. Maddie Rizzuto helped solidify the Bears win with an insurance goal at 2:05, setting the game at 10-8 and placing the Lyons as the fifth-seed in the NEWMAC Tournament.
- Jena Casman recorded 12 saves after seeing 22 shots in net.
- Coast Guard improves to 7-10 overall and 4-4 in NEWMAC play while the Lyons drop to 6-10 overall and 4-4 in conference standings.
- Saves: Wheaton 12 / CGA 15
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 29 / CGA 18
- Clears: Wheaton 21-25 / CGA 15-27
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 6 / CGA 15
- Free Position Shots: 3-13 / CGA 2-4
- Shots: Wheaton 38 / CGA 28
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the road on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. for the first round of the NEWMAC Tournament where they will face-off against the Coast Guard Academy Bears.