SCORE: Wheaton 23 - Johnson and Wales University 13
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Johnson and Wales University (0-2, 0-0 GNAC)
LOCATION: Providence, RI (Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex)
- Wheaton College women's lacrosse was led by Kyra Swartzman who scored a game-high nine goals while Molly Covarrubias scored four goals. Casey Kaplan, Maggie Dymes, Jessie Kilburn and Lilly Callahan all tallied two goals apiece while Danielle Trudeau and Blake Ferretti each scored one in the Lyons win.
- Covarrubias also recorded seven assists for the game while attacker Emma Ford had three assists herself.
- Johnson and Wales was led by Dani Lydecker who notched four goals while Maria Patane and Marley Medina each had a hattrick. Juliana Giello, Kayle Datys and Marcela Rose contributed one apiece in the Wildcats loss.
- The first half was a battle with both sides fighting for the lead. The Lyons were able to spark a 5-0 run before Johnson and Wales responded with one of their own. Wheaton would answer again with two more goals one at 4:40 and another at 3:16. The Wildcats were able to slip one past the keeper at 2:14 but the Lyons scored one more with 1:26 remaining to put Wheaton ahead 11-5 at the end of the first half.
- Wheaton opened the second half with three early goals to take a 14-5 advantage with 24:22 left in regulation. Johnson and Wales did their best to fight back throughout the second half scoring 7 of their 13 goals but it wasn't enough to defeat the Wheaton Lyons in the end.
- Jena Casman recorded nine saves after seeing 22 shots in net.
- Saves: Wheaton 9/ JWU 15
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 16 / JWU 19
- Clears: Wheaton 31-33 / JWU 25-27
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 19 / JWU 17
- Free Position Shots: 6-11 / JWU 0-2
- Shots: Wheaton 49 / JWU 27
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action Saturday, February 29 at 1:00 PM for their home-opener against Keene State College. VIDEO / LIVE STATS