Posted: Mar 06, 2020
SCORE: Wheaton 13 - Westfield State 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Westfield (2-1, 0-0 MASCAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- The Wheaton College women's lacrosse team was led by senior Kyra Schwartzman who had four goals while junior Casey Kaplan added three. Seniors Lilly Callahan and Molly Covarrubias each scored two goals for the Lyons while Maggie Dymes and Danielle Trudeau each contributed one goal apiece in the victory.
- First year Erin Ortega picked up a game high five caused turnovers, while Callahan and Blake Ferretti each picked up three ground balls.
- Westfield State University was led by Sam Donohoe who netted four, while Nicole Rinkus scored three goals. Emma Cretella, Cassidy Harvey, Hayley Rodriguez, and Cassidy Connolly each contributed one goal apiece in the Owls loss.
- The Owls opened up the first half strong and were able to find the back of the net eight times. Wheaton would answer with four more goals at 9:49, 8:05, 6:56 and another with only 52 seconds left in the half to cut the Westfield lead down to only two goals.
- The second half was a battle with both sides fighting for the lead. Callahan scored one early to make it eight to seven but Westfield State answered with two more after that to put them ahead by three. Schwartzman would then find the back if the net three times to tie the game 10 to 10. Westfield's Donohoe would score once more for the Owls but it wouldn't be enough to stop the Lyons with their goals at 8:24, 7:53, and 5:34 to secure the win at home.
- First year goalie Emily Oundjian came up with eigth saves after seeing 11 shots.
- Shots: Wheaton 33 / Westfield State 29
- Free Position Shots: Wheaton 2-8 / Westfield State 1-5
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 11 / Westfield State 15
- Clears: Wheaton 23-29 / Westfield State 16-20
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 21 / Westfield State 17
- Saves: Wheaton 8 / Westfield State 8