Aug 31, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 4 - Worcester State 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Worcester State (0-1, 0-0 MASCAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass. (Coughlin Field)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team picked up a 4-1 win at Worcester State this afternoon to kick off the 2018 campaign. The Lyons improve to 1-0 on the young season, while the Lancers drop to 0-1.
- The first half of the contest came to a draw, as each team picked up a goal apiece. Hannah Lepordo put the Lyons on the board first, using a volley from Lily Scammon in the 23rd minute before Worcester State retaliated with an unassisted Talia Borci marker just 5:37 minutes later. Wheaton fired five unsuccessful shot attempts over the remaining 17:19 minutes of the half.
- Lepordo struck again less than a minute into the second period to put the Lyons on top, 2-1, after connecting with Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo. Lepordo took the ball from the far right side and redirected it back across the frame, sending it rolling into the left corner netting.
- Wheaton narrowly edged the Lancers in shots, 6-4, over the next 25 minutes, before a penalty kick awarded to O'Brien-Pappalardo would result in a 3-1, Lyon advantage with 9:07 left in the game.
- Ali Maldonado had a look at goal at 85:33, but her attempt went high. A Worcester foul in the final minute led to a Wheaton corner kick that saw Noelle Perciballi feed to an open Kate Hopkins, who buried the ball in via a header to end the day with the 4-1 victory.
- Alexa Barbagallo earned the win with three saves in 45 minutes of work. Ashley Spellman and Jill Zinkus split goalkeeping duties 50/50, each picking up three saves and two goals against.
- The Lyons outshot Worcester State, 18-8, while the Lancers edged Wheaton in corner kicks, 4-3.
- Shots: Wheaton 18 - Worcester State 8
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 3 - Worcester State 4
- Saves: Wheaton 3 - Worcester State 6