Posted: Sep 02, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 4 - UNE 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UNE (0-2, 0-0 CCC)
LOCATION: Biddeford, Maine (Barbara Hazard Field)
- Three Wheaton Lyons registered their first collegiate points in a 4-0 blanking of the University of New England women's soccer team this afternoon in Biddeford, Maine. With the win, Wheaton improves to 2-0 overall, while the Noreasters drop to 0-2.
- Lily Scammon took a shot and collected her own rebound 11:25 minutes into the game, setting up first year Kenza Farid for Wheaton's first goal of the day just 6 seconds later.
- The following 22:10 minutes of the half would see nothing but Wheaton attack. The Lyons were able to convert for their second goal of the day after Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo capitalized off of a helper from Logan Ahearn in the 34th minute. UNE edged Wheaton, 4-2, in shots over the final 11 minutes of the period, but were unsuccessful in scoring and found themselves still trailing 2-0 at intermission.
- First year keeper Kaitlin Gossart stepped in at the start of the second half to relieve starter Alexa Barbagallo, coming in to shut down both Noreaster attempts on goal before Farid would hit O'Brien-Pappalardo for Wheaton's third marker at 66:01.
- First year duo Jaime Rattenni and Chloe Troy combined to put the finishing touches on the final score, with Rattenni netting Wheaton's fourth and final goal at 76:07.
- Barbagallo bumps up to 2-0 overall with her start and three saves, while Gossart also stopped three in her first 45 minutes in Wheaton Blue. Emily Ashman earned the start for UNE but took the loss, stopping three and allowing two before Jenna Pannone's 4 saves in the second half.
- O'Brien-Pappalardo led all players with 6 shots and two goals, while UNE's Vanessa Hodge, Brianna Cota and Jessie Maywalt led the Noreasters with two shots each.
- Shots: Wheaton 20 - UNE 10
- Corner kicks: Wheaton 2 - UNE 4
- Saves: Wheaton 6 - UNE 7