Sep 04, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 4 - Johnson and Wales (RI) 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - JWU (RI) (1-1, 0-0 GNAC)
LOCATION: Providence, R.I. (Scotts Miracle-Gro)
- Wheaton College Women's Soccer recorded their third win and four-goal performance of the season, defeating the Wildcats of Johnson and Wales University (R.I.), 4-0, this evening on the road. The Lyons now stand at 3-0 overall heading into Saturday's home opener vs. Gordon College, while Johnson and Wales drops to 1-1.
- The opening 35 minutes of the contest saw both teams trading attempts at goal, with Wheaton outshooting the hosts, 10-6. Wendy Ireland headed the ball on frame, only to be saved by JWU keeper, Colleen Lynch at 35:33. Just two seconds later, first year Jaime Rattenni found herself celebrating Wheaton's first goal of the night, her second collegiate goal, after collecting the rebound from Lynch's save and dumping it in.
- JWU went to work over the remaining 10 minutes of the frame, putting up 3 shots to Wheaton's none, but were unable level the score before the half.
- Sophomore Hannah Lepordo lifted the Wheaton advantage to 2-0 in the 58th minute, depositing the ball into the bottom right corner of the net after a Wildcat shot that went wide 32 seconds prior.
- The Wildcats had commanded posession over the following 13:07 minutes, once again outshooting the visitors, 4-0. Olivia Cairrao's blocked shot at 71:01 helped Wheaton regain posession, which lead to another Rattenni goal, this time headed in off of a cross from fellow first year Chloe Troy, at 71:28.
- Nicole Moody finalized the 4-0 win with a goal in the 79th minute after collecting a chest pass from Sam Ortiz and burying the ball into the bottom left corner.
- Alexa Barbagallo's six-save, shutout performance earned her her third win of the season and a 3-0 record. Lynch drops to 1-1, despite the 11 saves she collected.
- Johnson and Wales outshot Wheaton, 18-16, and edged the Lyons on corner kicks, 6-4. Cairrao led the Wildcats with five shots, while five Wheaton players recorded a team-high two shots.
- Shots: Wheaton 16 - JWU (RI) 18
- Corner kicks: Wheaton 4 - JWU (RI) 6
- Saves: Wheaton 6 - JWU (RI) 11