Sep 15, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 0 - MIT 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-1-0, 0-1 NEWMAC) - MIT (5-1-1, 1-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team fell to their visiting NEWMAC rival MIT Engineers, 3-0, this afternoon at Christina Mirrione '99 Stadium. The Lyons pick up their first loss of the year and slip to 5-1-0, while MIT improves to 5-1-1 overall and 1-0 in NEWMAC play.
- Though Wheaton could not convert for any goals, junior forward Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo lead all players in the contest with five shots.
- MIT netted the only goal of the first half at 12:24, as Sophia Struckman buried the ball from the left across frame into the right side of the net. Wheaton's offense was in command for the remainder of the period, outshooting the Engineers, 7-2, but was unsuccessful in the offensive push heading into the break.
- The second period kicked off with a corner kick and a pair of shots for Wheaton before MIT's Montana Reilly scored the game-winner on a breakaway up the middle at 51:36 to lift her team's lead to 2-0.
- Reilly struck again in the 63rd minute, scoring MIT's third and final goal after redirecting a slip from Amy Apostal down the right side and into the bottom left corner.
- Alexa Barbagallo suffers her first loss of the season, but did pick up four saves. Lily Mueller improves to 5-1-1, picking up 5 saves in the shutout.
- Shots: Wheaton 14 - MIT 12
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 7 - MIT 1
- Saves: Wheaton 4 - MIT 5