Posted: Sep 23, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 6 - Husson 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-1-0, 0-1 NEWMAC) - Husson (1-6)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team returned home to host Husson University Sunday afternoon with the Lyons earning a 6-0 win over the Eagles. The win is the Lyons seventh of the season and the largest victory margin for the team thus far.
- First-year Kaitlin Gossart got the start and her first win of the season after playing all but one minute in goal, coming up with four saves. Shie Smith of Husson collected the loss after giving up all six goals while making 14 saves in the complete game.
- Wheaton wasted no time, rattling off four shots in the opening three minutes of action. The Lyons finally broke through in the 20th minute with a goal from first-year Chloe Troy. The goal is Troy's third of the season.
- The final shot of the first half resulted in a goal for the Lyons with Nicole Moody finding Hannah Lepordo in the 39th minute. Moody took the ball down the left side and fed it to the center of the six-yard box where Lepordo collected it and calmly pushed it past Smith.
- It took the Lyons just three minutes to find the back of the net in the second half, this time with Megan Darrell bending her corner kick past the Husson keeper and defense and into the far post netting.
- Wheaton continued to push the pace, scoring again in the 63rd minute, this time with Moody netting her first goal of the game after picking up the ball from a feed from midfield. The junior midfielder corralled the ball and beat the keeper one-on-one, making it a 4-0 contest.
- Lepordo added her second goal of the game in the 75th minute after receiving a pass from the right side of the field, where she took on a defender and the keeper, beating them both for her team-leading fifth goal of the year.
- Moody ended the scoring just over a minute later. After misclear on a Darrell corner, the ball fell to the feet of junior Zuzka Czerw at the edge of the 18, who passed the ball into Moody, who slipped it past a sprawled out Smith.
- Shots: Wheaton 33 - Husson 8
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 16 - Husson 2
- Saves: Wheaton 4 - Husson 14