Posted: Oct 02, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Wellesley 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-2-1, 1-2 NEWMAC) - Wellesley (3-6-1, 1-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team picked up their first NEWMAC victory of the season with a 1-0 win over Wellesley College this afternoon at Christina Mirrione Stadium.
- The Lyons improve to 8-2-1 overall and 1-2 in conference play, and the Blue slip to 3-6-1 and 1-3.
- The first half of the game was matched somewhat evenly, as Wheaton only outshot the visitors, 9-5, throughout the scoreless 45 minutes.
- First year Chloe Troy netted the game-winner after one-timing a cross from junior Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo in the 49th minute.
- Wellesley's only shot of the second half was a beautiful long ball attempt made by Eleanor Mallett at 68:51. Wheaton keeper Alexa Barbagallo made a spectacular save and dove to cover up the rebound before a Blue forward could beat her for the second shot in front of the net.
- Wheaton outshot Wellesley 22-6 collectively and 13-1 in the second half.
- Barbagallo recorded 4 saves as she improves to 8-2-1, and Olivia Reckley drops to 3-6-1 after stopping 8.
- Shots: Wheaton 22 - Wellesley 6
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 9 - Wellesley 1
- Saves: Wheaton 4 - Wellesley 8