Posted: Oct 06, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - Smith 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-2-1, 2-2 NEWMAC) - Smith (6-8-0, 1-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass. (Smith College)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team evened their NEWMAC record to 2-2 and improved to 9-2-1 overall with a 2-1 defeat of Smith College this afternoon in Western Massachusetts. Smith drops to 6-8 and 1-5 after the loss.
- First year Lyons Chloe Troy, who fired off a game-high 10 shots, and Jaime Rattenni led the charge for Wheaton with a goal apiece, with Peyton McBride scoring the lone goal for the Pioneers.
- Alexa Barbagallo gave a stellar performance, stopping 8 of 9 Smith attempts on frame, while Naomi Falkenberg picks up a loss with seven saves and two goals against.
- Wheaton took the first seven shots of the contest and outshot the Pioneers, 8-2, over the opening thirty minutes before Troy kicked in the Lyons' first goal of the game at 31:47 without any help.
- Smith put up two shots on net in the final minutes of the half for a chance to even the score, but Barbagallo said no and the Lyons headed into the break with a 1-0 advantage.
- Rattenni struck at 60:13 to give Wheaton a 2 goal lead after 15 minutes of the second period.
- The Pioneers responded not long after, as McBride connected with Jessica Matsuoka to pull within 1 at 67:26. Smith took 4 shots to Wheaton's 3 over the remaining minutes, but Barbagallo helped keep their offense at bay.
- Shots: Wheaton 17 - Smith 14
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 10 - Smith 2
- Saves: Wheaton 8 - Smith 7