Oct 09, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Emerson 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-3-1, 2-3 NEWMAC) - Emerson (7-5, 3-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- A late goal lifted pushed the Emerson Lions past the Wheaton College women's soccer team, 2-1, Tuesday afternoon in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action at Mirrione Stadium. The win broke a NEWMAC tie in the standings between Wheaton and Emerson with just five conference games remaining before playoffs.
- Both teams were evenly matched with both sides firing off just eight shots, while Wheaton held a slim 7-6 edge in corner kicks.
- Wheaton broke through in the 30th minute with a goal from first-year Kenza Farid. The goal came after a shot from junior captain Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo was saved by Megan Rose and fell to the feet of Farid, who one-timed it for her fourth goal of the season.
- It didn't take long for Emerson to respond, with the Lions finding the back of the net in the 31st minute off a corner kick. Jess Frost sent the ball in which found an open Grace Cosgrove, making it a 1-1 contest.
- With the game tied 1-1 for most of the second half, Emerson broke the deadlock in the 81st minute. After earning a free kick deep in Wheaton territory, the Lions sent the ball into the 18-yard box from the right side, where Frost was able to beat Wheaton's, Alexa Barbagallo.
- Wheaton tried to find the equalizer in the final minutes of the contest pushing the ball into Emerson territory several times but were never able to get off a shot.
- Barbagallo collected the loss for Wheaton, moving to 8-3-1 on the season, after coming up with just two saves. Rose earned the complete game win for Emerson, improving to 5-5 overall.
- Shots: Wheaton 8 - Emerson 8
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 7 - Emerson 6
- Saves: Wheaton 2 - Emerson 4