Posted: Oct 20, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Mount Holyoke 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (11-4-1, 4-4 NEWMAC) - MHC (3-10-2, 1-7 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: South Hadley, Mass. (MHC Soccer Field)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday afternoon against the Lyons of Mount Holyoke with the visiting Lyons walking away with a 3-1 victory.
- Wheaton controlled the run of play throughout the entire match, outshooting Mount Holyoke 22-6, which included 15 first-half shots.
- Despite having a large shot advantage in the opening period, the visiting Lyons only managed one goal, which came in the 39th minute when Lauryn Parent found the feet of first-year Chloe Troy. The goal is Troy's eighth of the year, which leads the team and ranks her sixth in the NEWMAC.
- Wheaton added an insurance goal, and what would prove to be the game-winning goal, in the 50th minute on a free-kick goal from Amanda Dunton. The goal is the first of the season for the first-year defender.
- The host Lyons earned a goal back in the 62nd minute when Hannah Finn-Erb found Cora Melcher.
- Wheaton responded just three minutes later with its third goal of the game, this time with Dunton finding sophomore Sam Ortiz. The goal is Ortiz's first of the year and the first assist of the year for Dunton.
- Alexa Barbagallo was forced to come up with just three saves en route to her 10th win of the season.
- Shots: Wheaton 22 - MHC 6
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 9 - MHC 1
- Saves: Wheaton 3 - MHC 6