Posted: Oct 28, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Coast Guard Academy 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (11-6-1, 4-6 NEWMAC) - CGA (10-6-1, 6-3-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- The Wheaton College women's soccer team concluded the regular season Sunday afternoon against the Coast Guard Academy in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest at Mirrione Stadium. The Bears came from behind to earn a 2-1 victory over the host Lyons. With the win, the Bears earned the No. 4 seed in the NEWMAC Tournament, while the Lyons close out the season as the No. 7.
- Prior to the start of the game, the Lyons honored their five graduating seniors: Logan Ahearn, Kate Hopkins, Wendy Ireland, Kira Olander, and Kaylee Sye for their hard work and dedication over the last four seasons.
- Junior Jenna Palmer nearly gave Wheaton a 1-0 lead in the third minute of action with a tailing shot that was saved by Bear goalkeeper Katharina Commins. The Bears responded with a chance of their own just three minutes later with a shot from Brielle Pearce that was met by the hands of Alexa Barbagallo.
- Wheaton finally broke through in the 26th minute with a goal from first-year Jaime Rattenni. Pressuring the last Bear defender, Rattenni was able to steal the ball and rocket off a quick shot that found its way into the back of the net.
- Coast Guard tried to even the game in the 31st minute with a shot by Riley Cassidy, but Barbagallo was once again in the right place to make a save.
- Trailing 1-0, the Coast Guard broke through in the 61st minute when a corner kick by Claire Hurley found its way into the back of the net. Hurley placed the ball low and perfectly on frame where it skipped past the Lyon defense and goalkeeper and into the far post.
- With the game tied at 1-1, the Lyons nearly added a second goal in the 65th minute when a poorly cleared ball fell to the feet of sophomore Sam Ortiz who pushed the ball past the Bear keeper at the near post, but the goal was ultimately called back due to offsides.
- Rachel Samotis added the game-winning goal in the 72nd minute when a cleared corner kick was played across the 18-yard box where the junior midfielder collected it and drove toward the near post, beating two Wheaton defenders and slipped her shot under a diving Barbagallo.
- Wheaton desperately looked for an equalizer in the final three minutes of action with Chloe Troy, Sye, and Amanda Dunton all getting shots off, but none of them were able to find the back of the net.
- Commins collected her ninth win of the season for the Bears after making four saves, while Barbagallo took the loss for Wheaton coming up with nine saves.
- Shots: Wheaton 11 - CGA 17
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 2 - CGA 4
- Saves: Wheaton 9 - CGA 4