Oct 19, 2018
LOCATION: Waltham, Mass.
- The No. 23 Wheaton College women's swimming & diving team opened the season with a dual at NCAA Division II Bentley University Friday evening.
- Wheaton opened the meet with a first-place finish by the 200-yard medley relay team of Eva Pet, Elizabeth Bernardy, Maggie Lawler, and Delia MacLaughlin who completed the race in 1:52.02. Wheaton's 'B' team of Chloe Deubner, Erin Kean, Katherine Vitello, and Kathryn Cole finished in third (1:55.03).
- Sophomore Lydia DaCorte returned to the pool in winning fashion, taking the top spot in the 1000-yard Freestyle with a time of 10:52.36. DaCorte then took first in the 500 free with a time of 5:15.83 and the 200-yard IM (2:13.04).
- McLaughlin earned an individual first-place with a win in the 200-yard free (1:59.36).
- Pet and Cole finished in third (1:02.00) and fourth (1:03.69) respectively in the 100-yard backstroke, while Deubner finished in fifth.
- The 100-yard breaststroke saw a win for Bernardy who completed the race in 1:10.52, followed by a second place finish from Kean (1:11.39).
- Karen Iizuka finished third in the 200-yard butterfly (2:23.58), while Pet took fourth in the 200-yard back (2:16.05). Iizuka also finished fourth in the 100 butterfly (1:02.89).
- McLaughlin earned another first-place finish, this time winning the 50-yard free with a time of 25.46. Lawler was the next swimmer to touch, taking second place with a time of 25.53.
- McLaughlin followed that with yet another win, winning the 100-yard free (55.27) with Lawler finishing third (56.24).
- Wheaton took the top two spots in the 200-yard breast, led by Kean who finished in 2:33.31. Bernardy took home second place with a time of 2:35.97.
- Wheaton ended the night with a win in the 200-yard freestyle relay which was led by Lawler, Pet, Cole and DaCorte. The team finished in 1:4.49.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the pool on Saturday, Oct. 27 for a 12 p.m. meet at Brandeis.