Nov 02, 2018
LOCATION: New London, Conn. (U.S. Coast Guard Academy)
- The Wheaton College women's swimming & diving team opened New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Friday evening with a dual against the Bears of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The Lyons inched out a 148-146 win over the host Bears
- With just one race remaining, Wheaton earned the victory courtesy of a win by the 400 free relay team of Delia MacLaughlin, Caitlin Daley, Maggie Lawler, and Lydia DaCorte, who finished in 3:38.82, which set a new pool record.
- DaCorte set two pool records of her own, starting with one in the 1000 freestyle. The reigning NEWMAC Rookie of the Year won the race with a time of 10:35.25. DaCorte then returned to the pool setting another site record in the 200 butterfly where she finished in 2:08.65. The sophomore also won the 500 free with a time of 5:08.29.
- Eva Pet earned a pool record finish in the 100 back after winning the race in 1:00.94. Pet also competed as a part of the 200 medley relay team, which consisted of Elizabeth Bernardy, Lawler, and MacLaughlin who earned a first-place finish with a time of 1:52.14. Pet was the top Wheaton finisher in the 200 backstroke, finishing in 2:15.41, which earned her second place.
- Bernardy won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:10.01, while Erin Kean was close behind, taking second with a time of 1:11.70.
- Kean earned her own first-place finish, tying with Rowan Rice in the 200 breast with both competitors finishing in 2:34.41.
- Wheaton's 200 relay 'B' team finished in second place, with the team of Chloe Deubner, Kean, Karen Iizuka, and Kathryn Cole finishing in 1:54.48.
- Caroline Genther finished third in the 1000 free, finishing in 11:20.03, while Cole finished third in the 100 back (1:02.05).
- MacLaughlin and Daley finished second and third in the 200 free respectively, while Lawler and Cole took second and third in the 50 free.
- MacLaughlin was the top Wheaton finisher in the 100 free with a time of 55:07, which earned her second place. Iizuka finished third in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:01.61.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, Nov. 7 at Bridgewater State for a 6 p.m. meet.