Posted: Jan 10, 2020
LOCATION: North Hadley, Mass. (Mount Holyoke College)
- The Wheaton College women's swimming and diving team returned to action on Friday, Jan. 10 against Clark and Mount Holyoke in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference Action (NEWMAC).
- The competition was highlighted by a new MHC pool record set by first-year Madeline Eller, who completed the 50-yard breaststroke in 29.92. Eller was joined in the race by senior Elizabeth Bernardy who finished in second place with a time of 33.55.
- Eller started the evening as the second leg of the 200-yard medley relay team that finished first. The team of Eller, Julia Centola, Brooke Cloutier, and Shannon Connolly finished the event in 1:55.37, followed by another Lyon team (Jessica Love, Maddi Curran, Chloe Deubner, and Maggie Lawler) that finished in 1:55.48.
- Lydia DaCorte won the 1000-yard freestyle in her return from break, finishing in 10:51.24, with Taylor Couto taking second place with a time of 11:49.25.
- Wheaton picked up another win, this time from Kayleigh Foley in the 200-yard freestyle. The sophomore led the pack with a time of 2:01.74. Delia MacLaughlin was seconds behind Foley, finishing in 2:04.02.
- The Lyons took the top-four spots in the women's 50 backstroke, led by Hope Campbell who touched in 29.33. Jessica Love (29.68), Katherine Vitello (29.92), and Nika Dadoly (30.66) rounded out the top four.
- DaCorte picked up her second win of the night in the 100 butterfly (1:00.05), followed by Deubner (1:01.56), and Cloutier (1:06.54).
- Lawler won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 26:30, while Maclaughlin took home third place with a time of 26.58.
- Maddy Morrison wrapped up the 1-meter dive with a score of 236.62 which was good enough for second place. Morrison also took third place in the three-meter dive with a score of 219.59.
- Daley and Foley finished back-to-back in the 100 free with Daley winning with a time of 57.42. Foley was close behind with a time of 57.57.
- Eller, Love, and Dadoly finished one through three in the 100-yard backstroke with Eller taking first with a time of 1:03.60. Love finished in 1:05.88, while Dadoly touched in third with a time of 1:06.40.
- Cloutier won the 100 breaststroke after touching in 1:10.97, while Curran finished third with a time of 1:14.89.
- Wheaton had a strong showing in the 500-yard freestyle with Caroline Genther and Maddie Lambert finishing in second and third place respectively.
- DaCorte won her third event of the day, taking first place in the 50-yard butterfly with Deubner, Campbell, and Sophia Hatzikos taking second through fourth.