Mar 14, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 4 - Occidental 5
LOCATION: Occidental, Calif.
- The Wheaton College women's tennis team wrapped up its California trip Thursday afternoon against the Occidental Tigers with the host team coming out on top 5-4.
- Wheaton opened the contest with a win in No. 1 doubles with Ines de Bracamonte and Isabelle Garvanne earning a strong 8-3 win over Katie Wolber and Jane Wright.
- The Tigers responded with the final two doubles points, winning 8-4 (No. 3) and 8-6 (No. 2).
- Trailing 2-1, the Lyons tied the contest with a win at No. 4 singles from Allison Burton who defeated Nicole Pelletier 6-3, 6-3.
- de Bracamonte gave Wheaton the lead back with a 7-5, 7-5 route of Wolber in the top spot.
- Occidental earned the next singles point, once again tying the contest, but the lead was short lived with Garvenne once again defeating Wright. The junior earned a hard-fought 7-5, 6-3 win in the No. 2 spot.
- The two sides battled for the final two points with each match forcing extra play in one set, but at the end, it was Occidental who came out on top.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the court on Tuesday, March 19 at 4 p.m. in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action at home against Wellesley.