Sep 12, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 3 – Mount Holyoke 0 (25-16, 25-12, 25-21)
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-2, 1-0 NEWMAC) – Mount Holyoke (4-2, 0-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- First-year Julia Palomba ended the night with a match-high 11 kills, which ties her career-high that she set against Potsdam. Junior Claire Cansler finished with nine kills for the Lyons, while Cathryn MacGregor and Nikita Selivan each finished with six.
- Becca Houghton led all players with 38 assists and 11 digs, while Palomba, MacGregor and Stephanie Martin each had nine digs for Wheaton.
- Cansler came up with a game-high five blocks, while Palomba had three.
- Sasha Simine led Mount Holyoke with four kills, while Melissa Stewart had five assists and Sarah Caggiano finished with nine digs for the visiting Lyons.
- Wheaton took a 5-0 lead to start the first set with kills from Cansler and Allison Cox and an ace by Martin. Mount Holyoke tied the set three times, but Wheaton never relinquished control of the contest, pulling out the 25-16 win.
- Simine gave the visiting Lyons their first lead of the match in the second set, but Wheaton responded with a 16-5 run to take the lead, which they would not give up.
- The third set was tied four times before Wheaton pulled away with a 6-0 run on MacGregor's serve. During the run Cameron Mercer, Selivan and Palomba all notched kills, while MacGregor collected two aces.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .255 - Mount Holyoke -.071
- Service aces: Wheaton 9 - Mount Holyoke 5
- Digs: Wheaton 48 - Mount Holyoke 33
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 - Mount Holyoke 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 10 - Mount Holyoke 4