SCORE: Wheaton 2 – Wellesley 3 (25-22, 14-25, 19-25, 25-23, 10-15)
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-4, 1-1 NEWMAC) – Wellesley (6-3, 3-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Wellesley, Mass. (G.M. Martore '73 Court)
- Julia Palomba finished with a match-high 15 kills for the Lyons, while Cathryn MacGregor finished in double-digits with 10.
- Becca Houghton finished with 39 assists, while senior Stephanie Martin led the team with 16 digs.
- Casey Dinga and Claire Cansler each finished with a team-high three blocks for the Lyons.
- Wheaton took a 4-1 lead at the start of the opening set, but the Blue of Wellesley fought back to capture a 22-19 advantage. Wheaton buckled down and rallied from behind, closing out the set on a 6-0 run.
- After breaking a 5-5 deadlock in the second set, all the momentum shifted in Wellesley's favor with the Blue closing out the game with a win after allowing Wheaton just nine more points.
- Wellesley carried the momentum from the second set into the third set, never allowing Wheaton the lead.
- Cansler set the tone for the Lyons in the fourth set, leading things off with a game opening ace. Wheaton fell behind halfway through the set, but battled back with kills from Palomba and MacGregor, as well as, several Wellesley errors.
- In the deciding set, the Blue took an 8-6 advantage into the side exchange and only allowed the Lyons to get within a point the rest of the way.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .162 – Wellesley .226
- Service aces: Wheaton 11 - Wellesley 7
- Digs: Wheaton 46 – Wellesley 60
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 – Wellesley 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 8 – Wellesley 12
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the court on Saturday, Sept. 23 at Clark University for matches against Clark (11 a.m.) and Connecticut College (1 p.m.).