SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Rhode Island College 1 (22-25, 26-24, 25-14, 25-14)
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-7, 1-3 NEWMAC) – Rhode Island College (7-7)
LOCATION: Providence, R.I. (Murrary Center)
- Claire Cansler paced the way for the Lyons with a match-high 14 kills. First-year Julia Palomba chipped in nine kills in the victory.
- Sophomore Becca Houghton dished out 29 assists for Wheaton, while senior Stephanie Martin collected 17 digs for the Lyons.
- Palomba had a day at the service line, collecting a game and career-high six service aces.
- Canlser finished the contest with a team-high four blocks, while junior Cathryn MacGregor ended the night with three.
- Wheaton earned an early lead in the opening set, but were unable to hold on, falling 25-22.
- With the second set tied at 24-24, the Lyons used a RIC ball handling error and one of Palomba's aces to end the set and tie the match at 1-1.
- Wheaton returned to the court in the third and fourth sets on a mission for the win, allowing Rhode Island College just 14 points in both sets.
- The Lyons opened the third set with a quick 7-2 lead with the help of a Martin ace and kills by Palomba and Cansler. The Lyons help the lead throughout the set.
- The fourth set was more of the same with Wheaton opening with a 9-2 lead with two aces from Palomba, an ace by Houghton and kills from Cansler and MacGregor. Like the third set, the Lyons never trailed.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .135 - Rhode Island College .000
- Service aces: Wheaton 12 - Rhode Island College 5
- Digs: Wheaton 44 - Rhode Island College 31
- Block solos: Wheaton 1 - Rhode Island College 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 10 - Rhode Island College 12
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home for a tri-meet on Saturday, Sept. 30 when they host Smith and Eastern Nazarene. The first match is set for 11 a.m.