SCORE: Wheaton 3 - WPI 1 (13-25, 17-25, 25-20, 25-15, 15-8)
RECORDS: Wheaton (18-7, 5-3 NEWMAC) – WPI (8-15, 1-7 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Aud.)
- Wheaton found themselves in a hole early, dropping the first two sets to the engineers, 13-25 and 17-25.
- The Lyons kept hope alive with a 25-20 win that saw three separate five-point leads for the visitors.
- A second winning set for Wheaton, this time 25-15, evened the contest and forced a set five. In the final match, the Lyons used two 4-0 runs to lead WPI 13-6. The squads battled to trade points until a Julia Palomba kill would finalize the 3-2 Wheaton victory.
- Cathryn MacGregor dropped a game-leading 18 kills while Palomba pitched in with 11 to go along with three service aces.
- Colleen Mullins led the Engineers with 12 kills, and Melissa Daigle and Sarah Kwatinetz added ten each.
- Becca Houghton dispensed 40 total assists, the most of any players on the court. Azita Bakhtyari notched 36 assists for WPI.
- Defensively, Palomba, Nikita Selivan and Claire Cansler made one block each.
- The win over WPI marks the ninth straight victory for the Lyons.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .137 - WPI .152
- Service aces: Wheaton 8 - WPI 2
- Digs: Wheaton 86 - WPI 89
- Block solos: Wheaton 3 - WPI 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 8 - WPI 6
UP NEXT: Wheaton will travel to Amherst College for the Hall of Fame Invitational on Friday, October 20, where they'll face off against Hamilton, Bowdoin, Curry and Colby.