SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Springfield 0 (25-22, 25-10, 25-20)
RECORDS: Wheaton (22-8, 6-3 NEWMAC) - Springfield (14-12, 4-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass. (Blake Arena)
- Wheaton collected its first win over Springfield since the 1997 season when the Lyons defated the Pride 3-0 in the NCAA Tournament. That season the Lyons finished the year with a 29-12 overall record and a trip to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.
- With the win the Lyons maintain sole possession of fourth place in the NEWMAC standings as the tournament seeding begins to fall into place.
- Wheaton was paced by eight kills from Cathryn MacGregor, who also ended the contest with a team-high 14 digs and a block assist.
- Julia Palomba and Claire Cansler each finished with seven kills.
- Sophomore Becca Houghton concluded the match with four kills, 26 assists, two aces, 10 digs and a team-high five block assists.
- It took both sides a while to settle into the match. Wheaton trailed just once in the opening set but never ran out to a commanding lead, winning 25-22.
- The second set was very different however with the Lyons rushing out to a strong 7-2 lead on kills by Palomba and MacGregor and several Pride errors. Wheaton continued to capitalize on Springfield errors, allowing the Pride just 10 points in the set.
- Springfield picked up the pace in the third set, forcing a back-and-forth contest. With the match tied 13-13 Wheaton took control and found ways to put the ball down in the court for the 25-22 win.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .175 - Springfield .026
- Service aces: Wheaton 5 - Springfield 0
- Digs: Wheaton 52 - Springfield 48
- Block solos: Wheaton 0 - Springfield 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 14 - Springfield 4
UP NEXT: Wheaton ends the regular season on Saturday, Oct. 28 at 1 p.m. in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest in Emerson Gymnasium against the Coast Guard. VIDEO / LIVE STATS