SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Middlebury 1 (17-25, 25-20, 25-20, 25-18)
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-1) - Middlebury (2-1)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team moved to 6-1 on the season and 3-0 in the Wheaton Invitational with a come from behind win over Middlebury. The Lyons fell in the opening set but bounced back to take the final three.
- Julia Palomba led the team in kills with 12, while both Adara Hamilton and Casey Dinga knocked down nine and Claire Cansler contributed eight in the win.
- Becca Houghton finished the match with 34 assists, while Palomba pulled up a team-high 24 digs. Cansler had a strong afternoon at the net, finishing with seven block assists.
- Sarah Staver led all players with 13 kills for the Panthers, while Isabel Sessions finished with 11 kills.
- All four sets began evenly matched with neither side taking control of the contest until the later parts of each.
- The opening set saw the Panthers break a 12-12 deadlock courtesy of a kill by Chellsa Ferdinand which sparked a 10-1 run for Middlebury. Wheaton only mustered up four more points with three of them coming on kills by Houghton, Cansler, and Palomba.
- Wheaton took control of the second set on a string of Nikita Selivan serves that put the Lyons ahead 18-9. The Panthers pulled back within four points in the latter part of the match, but a bad set handed the Lyons the win.
- The third set saw several long runs by each side, starting with an opening 7-2 lead by Middlebury. Wheaton countered with a 6-0 run to take its first lead of the set. With the set tied at 19-19, the Lyons closed out the set, taking a 2-1 match lead, on a 5-0 run that featured a handful of Panther attacking errors.
- The fourth set proved to be the most competitive with both teams trading points the majority of the time. Wheaton finally pulled away on a MacGregor serve that broke a 16-16 tie, putting Wheaton ahead 21-16. Kills by Cansler and Houghton, paired with more Middlebury attacking errors, allowed Wheaton to close out the match with a 25-18 win.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .175 - Middlebury .063
- Service aces: Wheaton 9 - Middlebury 7
- Digs: Wheaton 79 - Middlebury 85
- Block solos: Wheaton 1 - Middlebury 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 22 - Middlebury 2
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Bates 0 (29-27, 27-25, 25-22)
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-1) - Bates (2-1)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Lyons ended the Wheaton Invitational with a perfect 4-0 record with senior captains Cat MacGregor and Cansler being named to the All-Tournament team.
- Cansler led Wheaton with a match-high 11 kills, while Palomba ended the contest with 10.
- MacGregor pulled up a match-high 22 digs, while Hamilton led the team in blocks with two.
- Ruby Lightbourn paced Bates with 10 kills, while Gabi Eutache finished with 22 digs.
- Bates opened the first set on a 5-0 run, which was quickly countered by an 8-3 run from the Lyons, tying the game at 8-8. Wheaton pulled ahead 19-11 moments later on kills from Dinga, Palomba, and Selivan, as well as several Bobcat errors. The lead was shortlived with Bates clawing its way back into the contest, tying the match at 23-23 on a Lyon attacking error. The two sides continued to fight for control of the lead, but it was Wheaton that would come out on top, ending the set with back-to-back Selivan kills.
- The second set was another all-out battle. Bates largest lead of the set came at 13-8, but Wheaton responded to take the lead 15-13 moments later. Neither team would hold more than a three-point lead the rest of the way. Wheaton was once again able to pull out the win, this time with a service error by the Bobcats and a Hamiton kill.
- The final set was more of the same with both teams once again going on long rallies, just to have them erased by a long rally by the other side. Bates cruised to a 6-1 lead on two Lightbourn aces and two Wheaton errors, but Wheaton once again fought back with an 8-3 run to tie the contest at 9-9. The Bobcats once again took a large lead with an 8-2 rally with Lightbourn leading the charge. Using strong serving from Hamilton and Houghton, the Lyons were able to put together two scoring streaks that allowed them to take the match with a 13-5 closing run.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .168 - Bates .109
- Service aces: Wheaton 3 - Bates 7
- Digs: Wheaton 70 - Bates 66
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 - Bates 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 4 - Bates 2