Posted: Sep 11, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Mount Holyoke 0 (25-18, 25-16, 25-17)
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-1, 1-0 NEWMAC) - MHC (4-2, 0-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: South Hadley, Mass. (Howard Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team extended its win streak to seven games after picking up 3-0 New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) win over the Lyons of Mount Holyoke. The shutout is Wheaton's sixth of the season.
- Wheaton was paced by 12 kills from Julia Palomba, who also ended the night with two aces and four digs.
- The visiting Lyons also received an eight kill night from Casey Dinga and Claire Cansler, with Cansler ending with a .615 attacking percentage.
- Becca Houghton ended the night with a match-high 37 assists to go with two aces, five digs and two blocks.
- Mount Holyoke was led by seven kills from Sarah Bishop and six from both Sarah Caggiano and Sasha Simine. Brayden Walden dished out 20 assists, while Jamesa Allen led all players with three blocks.
- Wheaton trailed just three times in the opening set, but a Mount Holyoke attacking error would break a 13-13 deadlock and hand the lead to Wheaton for good. The visiting Lyons closed out the set on a 12-5 run, which was capped off by kills from Dinga and Palomba and a Houghton ace.
- After falling behind at the start, Wheaton quickly bounced back in the second set, tying the game at 2-2 and going on a strong 7-1 run led by kills from Dinga and Palomba. Wheaton continued to keep its foot on the gas, never letting MHC closer than four points the rest of the way.
- The third set was more of the same with Wheaton taking control early and never letting up. Wheaton ended the set with its best attacking percentage of the night (.379) after putting down 13 kills on 29 attempts, while finishing with just two errors. The blue and white trailed just once in the third set, and like the second, broke a 2-2 tie with a 7-1 run. The visiting Lyons largest lead came at 22-13 on a Houghton kill that was setup by Adara Hamilton. Mount Holyoke closed out the win for Wheaton with a service error and attacking error.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .314 - MHC .033
- Service aces: Wheaton 7 - MHC 4
- Digs: Wheaton 47 - MHC 41
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 - MHC 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 10 - MHC 8