Posted: Sep 13, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Salve Regina 0 (25-15, 25-16, 25-23)
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-1, 1-0 NEWMAC) - Salve Regina (7-3)
LOCATION: Newport, R.I. (Rodgers Red. Ctr.)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to action Thursday night with a non-conference match against Salve Regina with the Lyons picking up a 3-0 win, improving to 9-1 on the season.
- Julia Palomba led the way with nine kills, an ace, one assist and a block. Nikita Selivan ended the night with eight kills, while first-year Adara Hamilton contributed seven.
- Becca Houghton dished out 30 assists, while pulling up a team-high 21 digs. Senior Claire Cansler led Wheaton with four blocks to go with her five kills. Senior Cat MacGregor contributed 18 digs in the win, which pushed the senior over 1,000 digs in her career.
- Cassidy Travilcy led Salve with eight kills, while Erin Proctor ended the night with 24 assists.
- Trailing 3-4, back-to-back kills from Hamilton handed the lead to the Lyons for good, sparking an offensive assault from Wheaton, which included several kills from Hamilton, Cansler, MacGregor, and Palomba. With a 21-9 lead, the Lyons closed out the contest with kills from Selivan, Haley McCreight and a Salve ball handling error.
- Hamilton once again spurred a Wheaton surge, this time with an ace that broke a 4-4 deadlock in the second set, helping the Lyons cruise ahead 20-12. The Seahawks helped the game end in Wheaton's favor with consecutive attacking errors.
- Salve took an early 4-0 lead but the lead was short lived with Wheaton taking the lead on a Palomba kill, courtesy of a strong serving set from Hamilton. The Seahawks pulled within one, 24-23, at the end, but an attacking error by Kendall Wilcox ended the contest in Wheaotn's favor.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .178 - Salve Regina .039
- Service aces: Wheaton 8 - Salve Regina 1
- Digs: Wheaton 66 - Salve Regina 67
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 - Salve Regina 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 6 - Salve Regina 2