Posted: Sep 27, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3- Rhode Island College 0 (32-30, 25-20, 25-23)
RECORDS: Wheaton (15-2, 2-1 NEWMAC) - RIC (8-6)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to the court Thursday evening, just two days after a tough NEWMAC battle, where the Lyons defeated Rhode Island College 3-0 in a non-conference match-up.
- Wheaton was led by a team-high 10 kills from first-year Adara Hamilton, who also finished with 13 digs and an ace. Casey Dinga contributed nine kills, while Claire Cansler had eight and first-year Haley McCreight contributed seven.
- Cat MacGregor added a match-high 25 digs to her growing career total, while Becca Houghton added 36 assists to her career numbers.
- Jillian Ward led the Anchorwomen with 14 kills while pulling up 11 digs. Marisa Brynes led RIC with 21 digs and Jacqueline Jutras finished with a team-high 24 assists.
- Both teams, who struggled from the floor all night, started off with a marathon first set that saw eight lead changes and 13 ties. Wheaton broke a 5-5 deadlock and quickly went on a 5-0 run to capture the lead. The lead would last until a Ward kill handed the Anchorwomen a 25-24 advantage. The two sides would trade points the rest of the way until a Houghton kill and Jurtaas error handed the Lyons a 32-30 victory.
- The Anchorwomen opened the second set with a 6-1 run, but Wheaton chipped away at the deficit, tying the contest at 9-9 before taking the lead on a Cansler kill that sparked another 5-0 run. Wheaton would never trail the rest of the way, despite Rhode Island Colleges best efforts.
- Wheaton errors handed RIC its first three points of the third set, which would help the Anchorwomen move to a 10-5 opening score. Wheaton responded with a 5-0 run to knot the set at 10-10. Rhode Island College broke the tie with an Amelia Murphy kill and would use that to take a 17-12 advantage. Wheaton once again chipped away at the deficit and eventually took the lead on a 6-0 run that made it an 18-17 contest. Wheaton took the lead for good at 21-20 after getting a kill from Hamilton, before taking the set 25-23.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .182 - RIC .133
- Service aces: Wheaton 8 - RIC 5
- Digs: Wheaton 78 - RIC 67
- Block solos: Wheaton 0 - RIC 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 4 - RIC 8