SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Smith 0 (25-22, 25-15, 25-15)
RECORDS: Wheaton (16-2, 3-1 NEWMAC) - Smith (1-13, 0-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass.
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday afternoon, earning a 3-0 win over host Smith College. The win keeps the Lyons in the top half of the conference standings.
- Senior Claire Cansler led both sides with 11 kills, while also finishing with four digs, two blocks, and an ace. Nikita Selivan ended the match with 10 kills in the win, while Adara Hamilton knocked down seven, while also pulling up 11 digs.
- Sophomore Maggie Shafer led both sides with 18 digs and three service aces. Becca Houghton ended the match with 38 assists.
- Caleigh Johnson led the Pioneers with seven kills, while Jody Huang had 14 digs.
- Smith opened the match on a 7-0 run, but Wheaton continued to battle, eventually tying the contest at 16-16, before taking its first lead of the day on a Cansler kill. The Lyons, who would go on to take the set, never trailed the rest of the way.
- Wheaton kept the momentum going, opening the second set in control, taking an 11-4 lead with kills by Selivan and Haley McCreight, as well as strong serving from Houghton. The Pioneers earned a few points back down the stretch, but the Lyons would keep the cushion at seven points.
- A strong attack by the Lyons and unforced errors by the Pioneers allowed Wheaton to take a 7-2 lead in the third set. The Pioneers managed to pull within one point several times, but could not find a way to take the lead. Wheaton settled in and once again added a comfortable distance between them and their opponent, going on to take the set and the match with a 25-15 win.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .248 - Smith .043
- Service aces: Wheaton 9 - Smith 3
- Digs: Wheaton 53 - Smith 43
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 - Smith 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 4 - Smith 6
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Plymouth State 0 (25-21, 28-26, 25-10)
RECORDS: Wheaton (17-2) - PSU (7-11)
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass.
- Casey Dinga led the Lyons in their win over Plymouth State, ending with a match-high 13 kills and three blocks. MacGregor ended the match with seven kills to go with her five digs and match-high six aces. Hamilton led the team with 12 digs, while Houghton added 23 assists to her growing career numbers.
- Alisha Flanagan led the Panthers with five kills, while Kennedy Mang had eight assists and six digs.
- Wheaton opened the first set slow but was able to eventually settle down and pull out a 25-21 win with a kill by MacGregor.
- The second set was a marathon back and forth, but MacGregor was able to close out the set 28-26 in Wheaton's favor with back-to-back aces.
- Wheaton did not allow Plymouth State any breathing room in the third set, hitting a season-best .500 in the set, en route to a commanding 25-10 victory.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .253 - PSU .135
- Service aces: Wheaton 15 - PSU 6
- Digs: Wheaton 37 - PSU 33
- Block solos: Wheaton 3 - PSU 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 2 - PSU 4