Posted: Oct 02, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Emerson 2 (26-24, 20-25, 19-25, 25-23, 15-13)
RECORDS: Wheaton (18-2, 4-1 NEWMAC) - Emerson (10-8, 1-6 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Boston, Mass.
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to the court Tuesday evening for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest at Emerson with the Lyons coming out victorious after falling behind 2-1.
- First-year Adara Hamilton led both sides with a career-high 25 kills to go with her team-leading 19 digs, and two aces. Claire Cansler ended the match with 18 kills while Casey Dinga finished with 11.
- Becca Houghton dished out a season-high 59 assists, while Nikita Selivan led the team with three blocks.
- Grace Tepper led Emerson with 20 kills, while Moira Brennan led the Lions with 50 assists, and Fara Cohen ended with a team-high 20 digs.
- Emerson earned the first point of the opening set, but a service error and an attacking error by the Lions handed Wheaton the lead, which they would not let go of. The Lyons largest lead of the contest came at 17-9, but Emerson rallied back forcing Wheaton to buckle down at the end in order to take the set 26-24.
- The second set was a slugfest which saw the score tied 11 times, before a Wheaton error gave Emerson the lead at 16-15. The Lions slowly began to pull away, taking the set 25-20.
- With the third set tied at 10-10, Emerson broke the deadlock courtesy of three straight Wheaton errors. Emerson continued to push the pace, using several runs to take the set 25-19.
- Fighting to stay in the match, Wheaton scrapped for every point in the fourth set, forcing 15 ties, before breaking a 23-23 deadlock with an Emerson error and a Cansler kill.
- Hamilton handed Wheaton the lead at the start of the fifth, but it would be short lived with Emerson taking an 11-9 lead. The Lyons used kills from Cansler, Houghton, and Hamilton to tied the set at 12-12, before a Hamilton ace handed Wheaton the lead for good.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .281 - Emerson .210
- Service aces: Wheaton 6 - Emerson 12
- Digs: Wheaton 78 - Emerson 75
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 - Emerson 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 6 - Emerson 12