SCORE: Wheaton 0 - Babson 3 (21-25, 21-25, 16-25)
RECORDS: Wheaton (18-3, 4-2 NEWMAC) - Babson (15-5, 6-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to the court Tuesday evening for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest at Babson College with the host Beavers defeating the Lyons 3-0.
- The Lyons, who did not have a strong night from the floor, ended the contest with a .133 attacking percentage led by eight kills from Adara Hamilton. Casey Dinga ended the night with six kills and both Claire Cansler and Nikita Selivan finished with five.
- Becca Houghton finished with 22 assists and Cat MacGregor ended the night with a team-high 11 digs.
- The Beavers, who also struggled from the floor, were led by 17 kills from Allie Puccio. Kristin Carosotto fnished with just nine for Babson. Elizabeth Cameron picked up 38 assists, while Abby Beecher led all players with just 15 digs.
- Back-to-back errors by the Beavers set the tone for the match, handing Wheaton an early 2-0 lead in the opening set. Babson earned the lead on a Puccio kill, but let Wheaton back in the set with a Hamilton kill and consecutive attacking errors. With the set tied at 6-6, Puccio earned the lead back for the Beavers for good with a kill assisted by Cameron.
- The opening of the second set was all Babson with the Beavers taking a nine point, 13-4, lead out of the gate. Despite trailing the entire set, the Lyons were able to fight their way back, pulling within one point, 18-19, on a string of points off a Houghton serve. That would be as close as Wheaton would get.
- Babson took a 2-1 lead in the third set and would lead the rest of the way pulling away with a 25-16 win.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .133 - Babson .225
- Service aces: Wheaton 3 - Babson 6
- Digs: Wheaton 37 - Babson 44
- Block solos: Wheaton 1 - Babson 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 4 - Babson 8
UP NEXT: Wheaton is tentatively scheduled to continue its NEWMAC contest against the Wellesley Blue on Thursday, Oct. 11 at 8 p.m. in Emerson Gymnasium. The Lyons lead 2-0 with a 19-16 lead in the third set. VIDEO / LIVE STATS