SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Hamilton 3 (21-25, 21-25, 25-23, 15-25)
RECORDS: Wheaton (21-5) - Hamilton (7-10)
LOCATION: Amherst, Mass. (LeFrak Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team opened the Hall of Fame Tournament hosted by Amherst and Smith College Friday evening with a match against Hamilton.
- Casey Dinga led the Lyons with a team-high nine kills with Adara Hamilton and Claire Cansler both chipping in eight. Becca Houghton finished with a match-high 30 assists. Cat MacGregor led the team with 14 digs, while Hamilton and Sabrina Buxeda each finished with 11 and 10 digs respectively.
- Emma Parkhurst led all players with 17 digs, while Meghan Wilkinson finished with a team-high 24 assists for the Continentals. Nikki Matsuoka led Hamilton with 23 digs.
- Wheaton broke a 12-12 deadlock on a MacGregor serve, which helped the Lyons run up to a 16-12 advantage. Hamilton battled back, tying the set for the 10th time, at 18-18 on a Lyon attacking error. A kill from Parkhurt handed the Continentals the lead en route to a 25-21 win.
- After falling behind 7-3, Wheaton fought back, taking a 10-9 lead on a Continental error. The two sides jockeyed for control of the set the rest of the way. Hamilton was able to take the lead on a Dorothy Poucher kill, which helped the Continetals close out the set 25-21.
- Like the first two sets, the third was another slugfest with both teams going toe to toe. The set saw 13 score ties and seven lead changes, with the Lyons doing just enough to break a 23-23 tie with kills by Houghton and Hamilton to cut the match deficit to 2-1.
- The fourth set started off with both sides competing for each point, but with an 8-6 lead Hamilton put its foot on the gas, running up a 23-10 advantage. Wheaton was able to counter with a 5-0 run, but that would be as close as the Lyons would get, falling 25-15.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .159 - Hamilton .272
- Service aces: Wheaton 7 - Hamilton 7
- Digs: Wheaton 56 - Hamilton 75
- Block solos: Wheaton 0 - Hamilton 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 14 - Hamilton 6
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action at the Hall of Fame Tournament, Saturday, Oct. 20. The Lyons take on Worcester St. (11 a.m) and Trinity College (3 p.m.). Tournament Information