Oct 23, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 0 - Springfield 3 (9-25, 20-25, 14-25)
RECORDS: Wheaton (21-8, 5-4 NEWMAC) - Springfield (21-6, 8-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to Emerson Gymnasium Tuesday night for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest against Springfield with the visiting Pride walking away with a 3-0 victory. Both teams, who have qualified for the NEWMAC Tournament, which is set to begin on Tuesday, Oct. 30, will find out their respective seeds Saturday.
- Wheaton was led by eight kills from first-year Adara Hamilton, who also finished with 12 digs and an ace. Claire Cansler added six kills and senior Cat MacGregor contributed five to go with her team-high 15 digs. Both Casey Dinga and Haley McCreight finished with two blocks for the Lyons.
- Jen Donnelly led all players with 14 kills, while Briana Tovar finished with a match-high 19 digs. Donnelly, Hannah Lozano, and Sara Labadorf each came up with 12 digs. Katie vonKampen led all players with six blocks, including three solo put-downs.
- Kills from MacGregor and Cansler helped Wheaton take a 4-3 advantage in the opening frame, but the lead was short lived with Springfield quickly taking control of the set. The Pride tied the game on an Ashely Tanner kill using it to spark a 16-2 run. The Pride allowed Wheaton just three more points the rest of the way en route to a 25-9 victory.
- Springfield carried the first set momentum into the second, capturing a quick 12-4 lead. Wheaton was able to find a little momentum of its own with a 4-0 run started by three Pride errors. The Lyons continued to claw away at the deficit but would only manage to get as close as four points down the stretch, eventually dropping the set 25-20.
- The two sides traded points at the start of the third set, but Springfield was able to quickly settled in a rhythm. Using strong serves from Tovar and Labadorf, the Pride went on two large runs to close out the set with a 25-14 victory.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .017 - Springfield .224
- Service aces: Wheaton 1 - Springfield 8
- Digs: Wheaton 56 - Springfield 66
- Block solos: Wheaton 0 - Springfield 3
- Block assists: Wheaton 6 - Springfield 6