Posted: Oct 25, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Simmons 1 (24-26, 25-19, 26-24, 25-20)
RECORDS: Wheaton (22-8, 5-4 NEWMAC) - Simmons (14-13, 7-4 GNAC)
LOCATION: Boston, Mass. (Moore Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team defeated Simmons College, 3-1, on the road in Boston this evening. Wheaton improves to 22-8 overall before heading into their final regular season and NEWMAC contest before postseason play begins on Tuesday, October 30. Simmons drops to 14-13 on the year after tonight's loss.
- Wheaton was led by 15 kills each from Adara Hamilton and Claire Cansler. Hamilton finished with 19 points and Cansler recorded a .375 attacking percentage.
- Julia Fusco of Simmons led the court with 19 digs with Maggie Shafer leading the way for the Lyons with 16.
- Becca Houghton recorded 38 assists on the evening, which went along with 10 digs. Faith Gray-Williams paced the Sharks with 19 assists.
- Simmons took game one, 26-24. The Sharks initially trailed, 6-2, but reached a 7-6 lead with a kill from Gray-Williams. The Lyons trailed the rest of the contest until Haley McCreight put the visitors on top, 19-18, with a kill from Houghton. The contest was knotted, 24-24, but Simmons reached a two-point lead at 26 with a pair of kills from Gray-Williams and Krissy Lloyd.
- Wheaton tied the match at 1 contest each with a 25-19 set 2 win. The Lyons reached a 3-2 advantage and never trailed from that point on, eventually gaining their largest lead of the set at 17-11 with a Houghton kill, and then again at 25-19 as a Cansler kill sealed the victory.
- Set three came to a close in similar fashion to the first set, with the victory falling in Wheaton's favor this time. Cat McGregor recorded the kill that tied the set at 24-24, but Wheaton would claim the victory thanks to a Simmons attacking error and a service ace from Shafer.
- The Lyons climbed to a 17-10 lead in set three, their largest of the set, after three consecutive points and a Simmons attacking error. The Sharks fought back to close the gap and eventually brought the set within two points at 22-20, but Wheaton would score the final three points including a Hamilton kill to end the game.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .174 - Simmons .117
- Service aces: Wheaton 11 - Simmons 9
- Digs: Wheaton 62 - Simmons 63
- Block solos: Wheaton 0 - Simmons 1
- Block assists: Wheaton 20 - Simmons 8