Oct 27, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 – Coast Guard 3 (25-18, 22-25, 22-25, 25-22)
RECORDS: Wheaton (22-9, 5-5 NEWMAC) – Coast Guard 18-11, 5-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: New London, Conn. (Roland Hall)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Saturday afternoon at the Coast Guard Academy. The loss earned the Lyons the No. 7 seed in the upcoming NEWMAC Tournament, while the Bears earned the No. 6 seed.
- Claire Cansler led the Lyons with 11 kills, while Becca Houghton finished with a team-high 33 assists and 14 digs.
- Angelou Dunton paced the Bears with 14 kills, while Amanda Dake finished with 13 and a team-high 16 digs.
- In the opening set Wheaton led 12-9 before the Bears scored six straight to take a 15-12 lead. The Lyons would however answer back with five straight and 11 of the next 13 points for a 23-17 lead and win 25-18.
- The Bears would score six straight early in the second set for a 7-2 lead. Wheaton would close to within two at 19-17 and again at 22-20 following back-to-back aces from Hamilton. The Bears would hold on to win 25-22.
- In the third set, the score was tied 16-16 before Coast Guard scored five straight capped on back-to-back aces from Dunton for a 21-16 lead. The Lyons could close to within 23-21 and the Bears won 25-22.
- Coast Guard led 19-12 in the fourth before Wheaton scored eight of the next 10 to cut the deficit to 21-20. The Bear led 23-22 and closed out the match with consecutive kills by Boyle.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .242 – CGA .230
- Service aces: Wheaton 11 – CGA 11
- Digs: Wheaton 45 – CGA 58
- Block solos: Wheaton 1 – CGA 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 6 – CGA 2